Curriculum Vitae (2023)
Curriculum Vitae (2023)
Keith Buhler, Ph.D.
Saint Andrew Academy
Ph.D. Philosophy, University of Kentucky, 2017
M.A. Applied Orthodox Theology, University of Balamand (Lebanon), 2014
B.A. Humanities (emphasis in History), Biola University, 2004
Areas of specialization: Ethics, the History of Philosophy.
Areas of competence: Philosophy of Religion, Philosophy of Mind.
- Headmaster, Saint Andrew Academy 2021 - present.
- Faculty Fellow of Liberal Arts, Hildegard College, 2023 - present.
- Philosophy (and Humanities) Instructor, Trinity Classical Academy, 2017 - 2021
- Adjunct Philosophy Instructor (online), Asbury University, 2017 - 2021
- Adjunct Philosophy Instructor, Asbury University, 2013-2017
- Postdoc Scholar, University of Kentucky, Spring 2017
- Director of High School, Veritas Academy, 2013-2014
- Master Tutor, Torrey Academy, 2007-2012
- Lecturer, Wheatstone Academy, 2006-2011
- Assistant Director, Wheatstone Academy, 2004-2005
- ESL and grade school teaching: at Etum Korean Academy (Fullerton), Willow Public School (Long Beach), and Biola University abroad (Ulaambatar, Mongolia), 2001-2004.
I’ve taught upper-division and lower-division undergraduate classes at Biola University, the University of Kentucky, and Asbury University.
- Business Ethics (x4)
- Health Care Ethics (x4)
- Introduction to Philosophy (x2)
- Ethics (x3)
- Logic (x2)
- Philosophy of Religion (independent study)
- Philosophy of C.S. Lewis
- Virtue Ethics, Ancient and Modern
- Introduction to Philosophy (x6)
- Logic (as TA)
- Philosophy of Science (as TA)
SECONDARY SCHOOL COURSES
- Introduction to Philosophy: Plato and Aristotle (x4) (Trinity Classical Academy)
- Ancient Roman History (x7) (Trinity Classical Academy)
- Writing & Rhetoric (Trinity Classical Academy)
- Ancient Greek (Trinity Classical Academy)
- Spanish 1-3 (x2) (Trinity Classical Academy)
- Theater and Drama (x3) (Trinity Classical Academy)
- Introduction to Philosophy (2017) (Freedom Project Academy (online)
- Humanities: 20th Century British Thought (Veritas Christian Academy, KY 2013)
- Philosophy: Plato on Being and Knowing (Torrey Academy, Biola University, CA *2011)
- Philosophy: Traditional Logic (Torrey Academy, Biola University, CA 2009-2010)
- Humanities: Foundations of American Thought (Torrey Academy, Biola University, CA 2009-2012)
- Humanities: Ancient and Medieval Thought (Torrey Academy, Biola University, CA 2008-2012)
- Humanities: 20th Century British Thought (Torrey Academy, Biola University, CA 2007-2012)
- Humanities: Great Books II - Medieval Thought (Saint Andrew, 2021)
- Humanities: Senior Research Ethics (Saint Andrew, 2021)
- Humanities: Great Books I - Greek and Roman Thought (Saint Andrew, 2022)
- “Education as Initiation”, SOPHIA Conference, TX 2023.
- “Christological Anthropology Orthodox classical education”, SOPHIA Conference, TX 2021.
- “Rational Motives and Pursuing the Good”, Evangelical Philosophical Society, Louisville KY 2017.
- “Vainglory is not a form of Pride”, SOPHIA Conference, Spring Branch, TX 2017.
- “Natural Teleology without Theology in Thomas Nagel’s Mind and Cosmos” Society of Christian Philosophers, University of San Diego, 2016.
- “Fairy Tale Nihilism: The Empty Hero in Kung Fu Panda and The Great and Powerful Oz,” Faith and Film Conference, Baylor University, 2014.
- “Is the Cosmos Causally Closed?” Ian Ramsey Centre, Oxford University, 2014.
- “Socratic Therapy,” SOPHIA Conference, Spring Branch, TX 2014.
- “Virtue and Imaginative Resistance,” Midsouth Philosophy Conference, Rhodes College, 2014.
- “Virtue and Imaginative Resistance,” South Carolina Society of Philosophers, University of South Carolina, 2014.
- “No Good Arguments for Causal Closure” (Metaphysica, 2020)
WORKS IN PROGRESS
- Becoming What We Are (in progress)
- “Teleology without Theology: Thomas Nagel on Natural Purpose” (in progress)
COMMENTS AND SERVICE
- Comments on Rob Elisher’s “Aristotelian Moral Schizophrenia”, University of Kentucky Graduate School Conference, 2017.
- Referee for Kentucky Graduate School Conference submissions, 2017.
- “How to Keep Momentum in Dissertation Writing,” University of Kentucky Graduate School, Writing Bootcamp, 2016.
- Comments on David Skowronski’s “Inductive Reasoning in Naturalism and Supernaturalism.” Society of Christian Philosophers, University of San Diego, 2016.
- Session Chair, Ian Ramsey Centre Conference, Oxford University, 2014.
- Comments on Andrew Greenlee’s “Combating the Normativity Challenge to Virtue Ethics,” Midsouth Philosophy Conference, Rhodes College, 2014.
- Referee for Kentucky Graduate School Conference submissions, 2013.
INVITED PUBLIC TALKS
- “Philosophy for Everyone”, Trinity Classical Academy, Los Angeles, 2018
- “Grammar, Philosophy, and the Liberal Arts Tradition”, Chesterton School of Liberal Arts, 2018
- “Digging Deeper into Meaning”, The St. Maximos Academy, Riverside, CA 2018.
- “Assessing for Virtue”, Association of Classical Christian Schools, Dallas TX 2018.
- “Effective, Enjoyable, Everlasting: Three Benefits of Classical Education”, Chesterton School of Liberal Arts Launch event, 2017.
- “Education as Initiation: When School is the Real World”, University of St. Katherine, Forum Lectures, Fall 2017.
- “Vainglory and Pride”, Sojourner’s Church, August 2017.
- “Morality: Rule-following or New Life?,” Wesleyan Society, Lexington KY, 2014.
- “Reading Great Books in Classical Education,” Veritas Academy, Lexington KY, 2013.
- “The Goodness of the Tao: CS Lewis’ Abolition of Man,” Torrey Academy, CA 2012.
- “Is Vainglory Pride? Dorothy Sayers’ Gaudy Night,” Torrey Academy, 2012.
- “Hope and the Cycle of Desire,” Hope Academy, 2011.
- “The Art of Conversation: Conversation with Art,” Wheatstone Academy, La Habra, CA 2011.
- “The Virtue of Constancy,” Hope Academy, Yorba Linda, CA 2009.
- “Life Experience as a Text: Learning From Initiatives,” Biola University, CA 2007.
Ancient Greek (reading proficiency)
Basic programming knowledge of HTML, CSS, and LaTex
Alcuin Fellowship, Western Region Fellow, 2019-present
Heterodox Academy, Member, 2018-present
International Society for MacIntyrean Enquiry, 2015-present
Society of Orthodox Philosophers in America, 2014-present
Torrey Honors Institute, Perpetual member, 2004-present
- David Bradshaw, Professor of Philosophy, University of Kentucky
- John Reynolds, President, The Saint Constantine School
- Chris Bounds, Professor of Christian Doctrine, Wesley Seminary
- Liz Caddow, Head of School, Trinity Classical Academy
- Grant Horner, Professor of Literature, The Master’s University